Xiaomi M365 vs Swagtron Swagger 5
We compare the Xiaomi Mi M365 vs Swagtron Swagger 5 — two deceptively similar scooters with different attributes and advantages.
The Xiaomi M365 is the world’s most prominent electric scooter and the staple of many electric scooter fleets. This is justifiably so as it represents an excellent balance of range, quality, price and weight.
The Swagger 5 is a brashly-named, lesser-known brand, with an uncanny design similarity to the M365.
It also happens to be the official electric scooter of the Chicago Cubs.
Keep reading to find out how they compare!
Xiaomi Mi M365 Advantages
- M365 has 40% more real-world range than the Swagger 5, based on our range tests (14 miles vs Swagger’s 10 miles or so)
- M365 has smoother-feeling brake activation and better linear control due to better brake cable routing
- Wider, stiffer brake lever that feels great on the hand
- Larger battery capacity (280 watt hours vs 216 watt hours)
- Handlebars grips and handlebars are one piece that firmly attaches to the scooter
- Charger has better construction quality and is more practical with its longer cable
- Beautiful, well-designed packaging
- Dual pneumatic tires for improved handling and ride quality
- M365 has an official IP54 rating, which gives some protection against splashes but is not decide for extensive riding in rain
Swagtron Swagger 5 Advantages
- Better acceleration
- Has zero-start (no kick required to launch the scooter)
- Greater max rider weight (319 lb for Swagtron vs 220 lb for Xiaomi)
- About $130 less than the M365 with coupon code
- Swagger 5 has cool (or obnoxious?) stem graphics
- The Swagger 5 is easier to set up out of the box
Main differences: Xiaomi vs Swagtron
Both the Xiaomi and Swagtron share the same great aluminum frame, general shape, and control layout that won the M365 a Red Dot Design Award.
The Xiaomi M356 is higher quality implementation of the same design with 40% more range and overall it just feels better to use the M365 compared to the Swagger 5. The brakes feel smoother and are easier to control. It has a thicker, more solid brake lever. The handlebar grips are thick and made of quality rubber. All the controls on the Mi M365 from the brakes to the buttons to the accelerator, just feel stronger and are more pleasing to interact with.
In essence, the Xiaomi is a bit more of a polished gentleman than the Swagger 5.
On the other hand, the Swagger 5 is less refined but more powerful — more of a brutish scooter compared to the Xiaomi’s refinement. The major structural components of the scooter (frame, folding mechanism, etc) all seem nearly identical and we suspect they might even be made in the same factory. However, all the little things on the scooter — from the handlebars to the brakes to the accelerator — are just a bit more rough around the edges,compared to the Xiaomi.
You’re probably expecting us to say that the Xiaomi is the obvious choice, but it’s not. We actually really love each of these scooters for what they are. The Xiaomi is nicer — sure. But, you have to pay for it.
If you need less than 10 miles of range and you want to save a few bucks, go with the Swagger 5. It is more of a blast to ride due to its zero-star and despite its lower price, has an identical design to the M365.
If you need more than 10 miles or range or if slightly nicer parts and finish are important to you then the Xiaomi is the obvious choice.
Overall, both are fantastic scooters for their respective prices.