Xiaomi M365 Pro vs Segway Ninebot ES4 Comparison
We compare the Xiaomi M365 Pro versus the very prolific Segway Ninebot ES4 — a scooter that is identical to the Segway Ninebot ES2— except it has the external battery pack which boosts range by 100% and enables higher top speed. At 31 lbs, both electric scooters have the same weight. However, the Xiaomi M365 Pro is objectively the superior scooter.
Read on to find out why the M365 Pro runs circles around the Ninebot ES4.
Xiaomi Mi M365 Pro Advantages
- Amazing 25.1 miles of real-world range, due to its 474 watt-hour lithium ion battery, according to our range tests. On the other hand, the ES4 delivers only 19.6 miles of real world range due to its smaller 374 watt-hour battery.
- Much better hill climbing performance. The Pro completed our hill climb test in 15.6 seconds. We haven’t performed full testing on the ES4 yet, but the ES2 completed this test in an incredibly slow 36.9 seconds. The ES4 is suppose to have more power, but we don’t expect much because it has the same motor and controller as the ES2, just an add-on battery that doubles its capacity.
- Faster acceleration of 5.3 seconds to 15 mph. We also don’t have complete acceleration tests for the ES4. However, it has the same motor and controller as the ES2 which took 7.1 seconds to reach 15 mph in our tests.
- Stronger brakes and better braking performance. The Pro comes with a strong mechanical disc brake and regenerative brakes. The ES4 has only a foot brake and regenerative brake. Neither are great braking methods. To stop quickly in an emergency situation on the ES4, you’ll have to ride with your foot on the fender. It is not comfortable to ride with your foot just over the fender for long distances.
- Better ride quality due to large pneumatic tires. The Xiaomi M365 Pro is equipped with 8.5-inch pneumatic (air-filled) tires whereas the Segway ES4 has solid (airless) tires. Airless tires don’t add any additional cushion to the ride. Despite the fact that the ES4 also has a suspension — the suspension is bad — it has poor ride quality. Riding on rough roads or hitting bumps on the ES4 is unpleasant because you feel everything.
Segway Ninebot ES4 Pros
- Higher top speed. The ES4 is limited to a higher top speed of 19 mph, compared to the 16 mph (26 kmh) of the Pro.
- Flat free, solid (airless) tires. The ES4 has front and rear airless tires that can be punctured, but will never become flat. This eliminates a maintenance concern. However, solid tires perform more poorly in wet conditions. The ones on the Segway Ninebot ES4 are notoriously difficult to replace when they do become worn down (especially the front one).
- Availability. The ES4 is readily available from more sources and the price tends to be more stable. The Xiaomi M365 Pro has more limited availability due to its demand and larger price fluctuations.
Verdict: Xiaomi M365 Pro
The Segway Ninebot ES4, also referred to as the 9bot ES4, has been a surprisingly popular scooter. However, our experience with it and review of the ES2 (identical to the ES4 minus the add-on battery pack) has found that it can’t compete with scooters in its class. Its solid tires, bad suspension, and poor performance lead us to give it low ratings.
The Xiaomi M365 Pro is a far better scooter than the Ninebot ES4.
The Xiaomi M365 Pro has a longer range, better ride quality and better acceleration than the ES4. The Pro has pneumatic tires which give reasonable ride quality and reduce discomfort on rough roads.
The only drawback to the Pro is that it tends to have more spotty availability and that prices can fluctuate significantly. It’s a steal if you can find it for around $600 US. However if you can get it for less than the ES4, it’s also a better deal.
If you’re having trouble finding the M365, consider looking at the original M365.