EMOVE Cruiser vs Speedway 5
We compare two electric scooters: the EMOVE Cruiser versus the MiniMotors Speedway 5. Though surprisingly similar in appearance –including size, folding mechanism, and frame — these scooters are quite different.
The recently updated for 2019 EMOVE Cruiser packs an impressive range and many new features seen only in very high-end scooters. These include an official IP67 rating, semi-hydraulic disc brakes, a high-quality battery pack made from LG cells, and tubeless 10″ pneumatic tires. The EMOVE achieved a massive 50-mile range during our real-world testing.
The MiniMotors Speedway 5 has been around a long time and gone through numerous iterations. It is a well-respected and time-tested premium electric scooter. Though resembling the EMOVE, the Speedway is a dual-motor monster with a MiniMotors drivetrain including 800 watt X 2 electric motors (3600 W combined peak power). Despite its more powerful motors, it actually has smaller battery pack made of Chinese cells.
EMOVE Cruiser Pros
- Lower price (around $1300), about half the cost of the Speedway 5.
- Lighter weight — 54 lb (24 kg) compared to the Speedway 5’s 70 lbs (32 kg).
- Dual semi-hydraulic Xtech disc brakes. These give better control and braking strength compared to the Speedway’s mechanical disc brakes.
- An official water resistance rating of IP67. The Speedway 5 has no official ingress protection (IP) rating. In practice, the EMOVE’s IP67 rating means it can be ridden in the rain and the snow as long as it is not submerged in water.
- The EMOVE Cruiser has tubeless pneumatic tires that are the most flat-resistant and are easy to repair using slime if a flat does occur.
- A 352 lb (160 kg) weight limit, which is significantly higher than the Speedway 5 which is limited to 264 lb (120 kg).
- A massive 1586 watt-hour LG battery pack which gives it >50 miles of real-world range (according to our tests). The Speedway 5 has a smaller 1400 watt-hour battery made of Chinese cells. The Cruiser will have a longer ranger due to having only a single smaller motor, more conservative controller, and larger battery pack.
- Key controlled battery cut-off. Though not the highest quality, the Cruiser has a key-controlled battery cutoff which allows you to park the scooter in public places without having to worry about someone riding off on it. You should still use a lock because they could always roll it away un-powered.
- Safety extras: turn signals and a very loud horn. The Speedway 5 lacks both of these features.
MiniMotors Speedway 5 Pros
- Much better acceleration, hill climbing, and top speed afforded by its dual 3600 W peak power MiniMotors electric motors. While the Cruiser will slowly accelerate up hills, the Speedway 5 flies up them. The Cruiser is capped to around 26 miles per hour (42 kmh) and the Speedway 5 is capable of reaching 40 mph (64 kmh).
- Full MiniMotors drivetrain including high-quality motors and controller. MiniMotors makes some of the best and most reliable motors and drivetrains. The Cruiser has the generic electric motors and controller.
- MiniMotors EYE Trigger throttle whereas the Cruiser has the generic trigger throttle.
- Front dual air spring suspension.
The EMOVE Cruiser and MiniMotors Speedway 5 have very similar appearance and size — yet this is where the similarities end. The Cruiser is the longer range, tamer, more economical scooter that is packed with safety features. The EMOVE has lots of extras like a horn, semi-hydraulic brakes, and turn signals.
If you are looking for an economical, long-range scooter, the EMOVE Cruiser is very hard to beat.
The Speedway 5 is a very well-constructed, time-tested, powerful, dual-motor scooter built by MiniMotors. It has an all MiniMotors drivetrain. It is a much faster scooter compared to the EMOVE Cruiser and will accelerate more quickly and climb steeper hills. The EYE trigger throttle and other MiniMotors components make this scooter feel overall more premium.
The geometry, large deck, and suspension make the Speedway 5 the lighting fast, juiced-up version of the EMOVE Cruiser.
The Speedway 5 is available WorldWide from a MiniMotors dealer near you.