Chuck Temple chats with Dagwood Streets about best scooters, thumb throttles, tire slime and more on the Electric Scooter PodcastListen to “Part 2 with ESG’s Founder, Chuck Temple and E-Scooter News!” on Spreaker.
In the 8th episode of the Electric Scooter Podcast, Dagwood covers a wide range of topics with Chuck, including the best electric scooters, their favorite ESG content, and which scooter features do and don’t make sense.
Best scooter for a first time buyer
When asked, Chuck responded without hesitation that the Segway Ninebot Max is the best electric scooter for beginners and first time buyers, as it suits so many riders for different lifestyles and uses, paramount among them commuting.
There’s a reason the Ninebot Max replaced the Xiaomi Mi M365 as the model used by shared scooter services, as it’s got a ridiculously rock solid build and, although a little boring, is a stalwart long-term performer.
Best all-around scooter (for Chuck)
As expected, it’s not really possible to name a perfect scooter for everyone, as that does not exist, but for Chuck the best all-around scooter is the Inokim OXO. In the past couple years, some of Chuck’s favorite scooters have included the Inokim OX (the OXO’s single motor little brother), Kaabo Mantis 8, Apollo Explore, and Zero 9.
Favorite ESG content
In the podcast, Dagwood and Chuck talk about the possibility of more episodes of Scooter Hunters, in which Chuck helps a first time scooter buyer choose the best scooter for them based on their lifestyle and location. We’ve had three episodes so far, you can check them out below:
SCOOTER HUNTERS EPISODE 1: Uncle Jim Hunts the Perfect Country Scooter
AIRRACK Scoots Across Florida | SCOOTER HUNTERS EPISODE 2
Scooter Hunters Live: Couples Edition Headed to Hollywood | ESG Liveshow #73
Thumb, trigger and twist throttle preferences
They also discuss throttles, and Chuck explains that he had always recommended thumb throttles for more ergonomic driving, but has found over time that not all thumb throttles are created equal. When testing out three throttle styles on the EMOVE Touring, we found the thumb throttle to be difficult to reach and more difficult to modulate than the trigger and twist throttles. We liked the twist throttle the best, as it provided the most natural speed modulation and ergonomic control.
When it comes to the overall benefits of riding an electric scooter (not only to get you from point A to B but also environmentally), we’d like to use Dagwood’s phrasing:
We totally agree, Dagwood!
To find out Chuck’s and Dagwood’s thoughts on riding at night, whether or not tire slime is worth it, and if keystart ignitions deter thieves, listen to the podcast above.
Follow our weekly ESG Scooter News and join us on the ESG Liveshow, every Tuesday @ 5 PM PST on Youtube. You can also sign up for our monthly e-newsletter, so you never miss any of our scooter content.
Ride safe, and don’t forget to wear a helmet!
- The 6 Best Cheap Electric Scooters (We Tested Them All)Want the best bang for your buck? Here’s the best cheap electric scooters under $500 that you can buy right now (we’ve actually ridden them!).
- How to Fix Warped Rotors on an Electric ScooterAre your scooter’s disc brakes dragging? Learn the quickest, easiest way to straighten warped rotors with just two tools and two minutes.
- How to Adjust Mechanical Disc Brakes on an Electric ScooterLearn how to do a mechanical disc brake adjustment, including tools and tips for how to fix loose brakes (while keeping the brake light on).
- How to Lock an Electric Scooter: The Best Lock to Use and Where to LockScooter Locking 101: How to lock your electric scooter, including the best locks for scooters and where you should and shouldn’t lock up.
- Apollo Air Pro Review: Stability and Safety with 18.8 MPH SpeedIn this Apollo Air Pro review, learn why safe and solid doesn’t have to feel stiff or boring, as the Pro rides smooth at 18.8 MPH for up to 17 mi range.
Sign up for our once-monthly mailer for exclusive discounts and the latest electric scooter reviews and news.